A significant number of workplace accidents and productivity losses are caused by alcohol impairment. For instance, alcohol influence at work costs Perth, Western Australia billions of dollars in hospitalisations and revenue loss yearly. To manage hazard risks associated with drug and alcohol use, many workplaces today look up drug and alcohol testing in Perth costs. For employers to maintain a safe and healthy working environment, a carefully designed drug and alcohol program is crucial. Most companies, especially those in high-risk industries, have a zero-tolerance policy. These policies mean that employees should not have illicit drugs or alcohol in their system while at work.
As part of monitoring worker well-being, drug and alcohol testing is crucial. Standard tests include blood, urine, saliva, or breath samples. Furthermore, alcohol breathalysers such as BACtrack are essential in determining a person’s Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) in the workplace. These breathalysers are portable devices that can quickly measure an employee’s BAC level with a single breath. Hence, these breath tests are the quickest and most non-intrusive screening methods available to employers. Thus, many companies look up “drug and alcohol testing in Perth costs” when seeking the means to apply their testing policies.
Drug and Alcohol Testing in Perth Costs – How Drugs and Alcohol Affect the Work Environment
Workplace drug and alcohol use are considerable threats to any workplace. Unsurprisingly, companies look up “drug and alcohol testing in Perth costs” to help mitigate these effects. However, many employers are still unaware of how much damage these illicit substances cause to the workforce. Drugs and alcohol can easily disrupt the safety and efficiency of employees. A worker with impaired judgement and senses can easily disrupt the workflow and drastically affect company productivity. These detriments resulted in increased costs and decreased profits. In addition, these detriments impact overall safety, significantly damaging company morale. Furthermore, drug and alcohol use in the workplace can also cause the following issues:
- higher turnover rate
- increased tardiness and absenteeism
- decreased work performance from sleepiness, hangovers and withdrawal symptoms
- decreased efficiency from impaired motor functions
- decreased decision-making capacity from impaired senses and lowered inhibitions
- illegal activities, such as the dealing and sale of illicit substances
- high risk of legal consequences from accidents and damage to company property
- lower company esteem due to the increased risk of conflict between individual workers or employers
Drug and Alcohol Testing in Perth Costs – Policy and Implementation
Prevention will always be the best way to tackle the issue of drug and alcohol use in the workplace. Thus many companies enact comprehensive drug and alcohol policies when periodic one-off testing isn’t enough. Many companies look up “drug and alcohol testing in Perth costs” to help implement these policies. A good workplace drug and alcohol policy must thoroughly outline all company rules and procedures regarding drug and alcohol abuse in the workplace. Moreover, all tests that employers implement must comply with these policies. Furthermore, an extensive drug and alcohol policy helps employers and employees to see eye-to-eye and help each other maintain workplace health and safety.
Drug and Alcohol Testing in Perth Costs – Kinds of Drug and Alcohol Testing
Many companies look up “drug and alcohol testing in Perth costs” when pursuing efficient means to implement their testing policies. However, employers should also be aware of the different testing situations and methods of testing for testing policy implementation. The following are the kinds of workplace drug and alcohol tests:
- Blanket testing – these tests are implemented on all company personnel in a single event.
- Targeted testing – employers implement these tests when there is reasonable suspicion of a specific employee’s alcohol or drug use in the office.
- Random testing – these are unannounced tests at varying intervals to identify employees with substance use and abuse issues.
- Pre-employment testing – companies implement these tests during the hiring process.
- Post-incident testing – employers implement these tests after an incident has occurred to determine if illicit substances were involved.
- Rehab testing – these are tests on workers currently undergoing rehab.
- Post-positive result testing – drug and alcohol tests wherein a worker who has previously tested positive must test positive before being deemed fit to work.
- Voluntary testing – drug and alcohol tests for employees who volunteer to be tested on their own choice.
Advantages of a Workplace Testing Policy
A comprehensive workplace drug and alcohol policy can bring many benefits and advantages to a company. Many employers look up “drug and alcohol testing policy in Perth costs” to help maintain company safety and health. In addition, such policies confer the following advantages to their employers and the workforce.
- Employees are aware that company support is available and which procedures apply for disciplinary action.
- Employees have clear and concise guidance on what they are allowed to do.
- Reducing workplace illness and employee turnover rate, leading to a significant increase in productivity.
- An extensive workplace drug and alcohol can raise overall awareness. Thus such policies can encourage workers to take personal action to maintain their health and safety. Such activities may include helping fellow employees with substance issues or getting a personal breathalyser.
- Reduces the risk of workers operating a vehicle or dangerous equipment while under the influence of these substances.
- Complying with the law for workplace health and safety and thus avoiding costly legal fees.
Workplace Breathalysers at Breathalysers Australia
Breathalysers Australia’s Pro Series is the most effective and precise line of professional-grade breathalysers on the market today. These devices are FDA-cleared and meet the standards of effective breath screening devices. Furthermore, these Breathalysers are AS3547 certified and compliant with the HLTPAT005 drug and alcohol testing course requirements. Companies no longer need to seek “drug and alcohol testing in Perth costs” when pro-grade breathalysers are readily available to implement their comprehensive screening policies. Experts highly recommend the following breathalysers for workplace alcohol testing.
- SHIELD Express Identity and SHIELD Express Touch – The SHIELD is the latest 2023 generation Australian workplace and law enforcement breathalyser. It amalgamates passive and active testing modes with touchscreen technology to offer unprecedented testing speed and accuracy. The SHIELD Express Identity variant supports photo identification for maximum compliance.
- BACtrack Mobile Gen2 – This device connects to a smartphone for BAC viewing, ideal for remote workplace alcohol testing for high compliance and precision on-site and off-site.
- BACtrack S80 Pro 2 – This breathalyser is the most accurate and robust professional breathalyser to date. The S80 Pro 2 features Xtend fuel sensor technology for precise measurements across a broad testing range.
- Alcoviser Mercury – This breathalyser offers dual functionality through passive or active breath screening. As a result, the Alcovuser mercury is ideal for high-volume and high-compliance testing. It has a broad range of functions such as touchscreen, GP positioning, instantaneous reading, printing options and a large memory for test record storage.
Comprehensive drug and alcohol testing policies are essential for maintaining sobriety and safety in the workplace. Furthermore, companies should fully understand and comprehend the numerous risks of workplace drug and alcohol use for effective management and prevention. Many businesses in the city of lights look up “drug and alcohol testing in Perth cost” to monitor and safeguard the overall health of their workforce. Breathalysers Australia provides a comprehensive selection of workplace and personal breathalysers for a broad range of alcohol testing needs. In particular, the BACtrack pro-grade line of breathalysers is the ideal tool for implementing effective workplace testing policies and securing company health.