UDS or urine drug screen is a type of test to detect drugs in the system through a urine sample. Workplaces in Australia conduct alcohol and drug testing using a UDS drug test to maintain safety and reduce workplace dangers. This test can assist in identifying employees who are more prone to endanger themselves and others. Employers conduct alcohol and drug testing because alcohol and drug use can cause various impairments. Substance use can impair vision, judgment, coordination, and memory. Furthermore, these impairments might significantly impact employees’ capacity to complete responsibilities. As a result, employers now administer testing in the workplace and during working hours. Aside from a UDS, employers typically conduct breath testing to prevent alcohol use in workplaces.
Conducting alcohol and drug testing is one of the effective ways for businesses to ensure workplace safety. Substance impairment has long been a safety concern, particularly in high-risk industries. Similarly, drug and alcohol abuse has resulted in severe injuries, disability, property damage, low productivity and compensation losses. As a result, conducting alcohol and drug tests using a UDS drug or alcohol breath testing is critical in preventing workplace mishaps. For some workplaces that want a quick alcohol testing, a breathalyser is a reliable device to test employees’ alcohol use. A workplace alcohol tester, such as the BACtrack workplace breathalyser from Breathalysers Australia, is an effective device for determining alcohol impairment.
UDS Drug: How Does it Work?
Employers usually conduct UDS drug and alcohol breath tests because they are non-invasive and can be performed quickly and easily. A urine drug screen will only need urine samples from employees to perform testing. In most cases, the solution in the cup will not change colour when no drugs are present. On the other hand, a breathalyser is a device that can calculate employees’ Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) levels based on their Breath Alcohol Content (BrAC). A BAC of 0.01 per cent or higher is considered a positive alcohol test during workplace tests. Furthermore, employers can use the BACtrack breathalyser from Breathalysers Australia to conduct more regular alcohol tests. Likewise, the BACtrack can provide accurate results within 10 to 15 seconds. Moreover, the common substances that a urine drug test can detect are:
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
UDS Drug: Various Testing Situations
Companies may conduct a UDS drug and alcohol breath test in different situations. Checking for alcohol and drug use in these situations can ensure that employees are not exposed to any substance. Utilising a breathalyser such as the BACtrack device from Breathalysers Australia for alcohol testing can also significantly help employers to reduce workplace accidents and injuries. Typically, companies would undertake alcohol and drug tests during:
- Blanket testing: A situation that tests all personnel in the company.
- Random testing: An unannounced test that can occur at any time. This type of testing can assist in detecting employees who are attempting to conceal their consumption.
- Post-accident testing: This testing situation is for employees who have recently been in a workplace accident. This test can assist in determining if alcohol or drugs were a factor in the accident. Employers can also decide whether or not to conduct company-wide alcohol and drug tests.
- Pre-employment testing: Employers conduct alcohol and drug testing for job applicants to determine their substance use. This type of testing can help firms avoid hiring personnel who may have alcohol or drug issue.
- Targeted or “For cause” testing: Targets specific employees that employers suspect of using alcohol or drugs.
- Post-positive testing: A test necessary for employees who return to work following a positive test result. This test can assist in ensuring that returning staff can operate safely.
UDS Drug: Other Types of Testing
Alcohol and drug can also be identified using a variety of procedures. Among these tests, it is worth noting that employers frequently use alcohol breath tests and a UDS drug test during employment testing. These tests are standard because they are reliable and efficient. During a breath test, employers will only need a breathalyser. A breathalyser like the BACtrack device can independently collect, store, and process BAC results. To conduct testing, employees provide a sufficient breath sample via the device’s mouthpiece, and the device will display the reading on the device’s LCD quickly. Therefore, employers can provide more frequent alcohol tests using the BACtrack breathalyser from Breathalysers Australia. Furthermore, a urine test is not the only method of workplace testing available. Aside from urine tests, companies can also conduct testing using the following:
- Breath alcohol testing: can calculate alcohol use for up to 24 hours.
- Blood testing: can detect alcohol and drug use for up to 24 to 48 hours.
- Saliva testing: can check alcohol and drug use for up to 24 hours.
- Hair follicle tests: can detect drug and alcohol use for up to 90 days.
Benefits of Testing in the Workplace
A UDS drug and other tests like an alcohol breath test are advantageous for employers and employees. In particular, for alcohol testing, using a breathalyser such as the BACtrack is the leader of breathalysers in providing accurate results. Breathalysers Australia offers a full range of BACtrack devices for professional and personal use. Furthermore, alcohol and drug testing have several benefits in workplaces, including:
- Safe environment: The use of alcohol and drugs frequently causes workplace accidents. Therefore, with an alcohol and drug test, employers can help determine employees who abuse substances, allowing them to assist employees with rehabilitation.
- High productivity and employee morale: A steady workforce leads to higher output and higher morale. Furthermore, clear and sober employees have reduced absence and turnover rates.
- Reduced legal liability: Employers are required by law to reduce workplace dangers. It is the employer’s responsibility to keep the workplace safe at all times. As a result, employers will cover any workplace accidents.
- Encourage improved health: Drug and alcohol screening in the workplace leads to fewer accidents and healthier employees.
A UDS drug test and a breathalyser can improve workplace productivity. However, a breathalyser gives faster findings than a urine test for drugs and alcohol. Furthermore, most BACtrack breathalysers use fuel cell sensor technology. Law enforcement also utilises a police breathalyser with the same sensor as the BACtrack devices for roadside screening. Fuel cell breathalysers are only sensitive to ethanol. Therefore, it won’t react to any substance, and false-positive results are less likely.
Breath Testing using the BACtrack Workplace Breathalyser
A UDS drug and a breathalyser can help employers avoid alcohol and drug use and maintain workplace safety. For alcohol testing alone, the BACtrack breathalyser has a single-button operation feature for ease of use. Additionally, Breathalysers Australia can give more convenient and faster alcohol breath tests than any other procedure. The BACtrack fuel cell breathalysers can detect alcohol levels ranging from 0.00% to 0.40%. Undoubtedly, the BACtrack is the best option for any case involving alcohol testing. You may visit the Breathalysers Australia website to check all the reliable, affordable and accurate workplace breathalysers to help you deter alcohol use while maintaining safety within your workplace.