In Australia, a growing number of companies are enrolling in drug and alcohol testing courses. These courses result in a safer and healthier workplace with increased productivity, reduced liability costs and a stable workforce. Organizations at any stage of developing or revising a drug and alcohol policy for their workplace would benefit from these courses. The unit HLTPAT005 is a thorough nationally accredited pathology training course that collects specimens for drug abuse testing. This training course is intended to guarantee that proper processes are followed while conducting onsite drug and alcohol testing in compliance with Australian Standards.
The drug and alcohol testing course encompass anything from policy and procedure adherence to testing methods and equipment comprehension as well as worker interaction. This drug and alcohol testing course are more than just about knowing how to test for drugs and alcohol; it is also about being knowledgeable in managing the risks involving drug and alcohol.
Drug & Alcohol testing Standard in Australia:
- AS/NZS 4308-2008 is a procedure for collecting specimens as well as detecting and quantifying illicit substances in the urine.
- AS/NZS 4760-2019 is a procedure for collecting specimens and detecting and quantifying substances in oral fluid
- AS3547:1997 is an alcohol breath testing device for individual use.
The BACtrack breathalyser is an alcohol breath testing equipment that is AS3547:1997 approved and can be both used for personal as well as in the workplace.
Importance of a Drug and Alcohol Testing Course
People who arrive at work while under the influence of drugs or alcohol pose a serious threat to the workplace. When one’s health for work is compromised, there’s a higher chance of workplace incidents and accidents. That affects workplace morale and the environment. People who are unsuitable for work might jeopardize compliance with workplace safety rules and regulations. Managing employee’s safety and health at work may be difficult, expensive and time-consuming without a system in place. With the implementation of a drug and alcohol testing course, you can detect and manage your employees under the influence of alcohol or drugs more easily and effectively.
What You Need to Do:
In the workplace, managing a drug and alcohol testing course can substantially enhance employee health, safety and well-being promptly and effectively. It is essential to have the necessary skills and expertise to deliver and organize these programs:
- Carry out comprehensive tests such as an alcohol breath test and other requirements for confirmation testing and implementation of control measure protocols.
- Learn workplace drug and alcohol screening policies and processes, as well as the Australian Standards and Legislation and device selection.
- Demonstrate how to put a program in place and manage high-quality testing procedures.
- Retrain your employees on their roles and duties.