Alcohol use or impairment in the workplace is associated with increased risks of accidents and injuries for workers. It is common for employees to consume alcohol after work hours. However, excessive consumption leads to severe impairments. A high intoxication level significantly affects judgment, reasoning, and motor coordination. It also results in increased absenteeism and low output. Therefore, managing hazards due to alcohol use is one of the workplace’s constant tasks. Most employers apply a practical strategy to reduce the negative impacts of alcohol through a breathalyser test. A breathalyser is a portable device for estimating the Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) or intoxication level. Breathalysers like the BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 and Alcolimit Defender are suitable devices for professional use.
The use of breathalysers in the workplace increases as the need for a safer workplace ensues. A breathalyser is also a non-invasive and cost-efficient method to monitor the employees’ blood alcohol levels. The BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 and Alcolimit Defender have advanced sensor technologies to give accurate and reliable breath test results. Therefore, workplaces may facilitate frequent alcohol tests without needing laboratory services. Employers can purchase the BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 and other pro-grade devices at Breathalysers Australia.
BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 vs Alcolimit Defender: Sensors
Workplaces that value safety ensures that they get the most accurate device. The BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 and Alcolimit Defender are dependable tools to give the most precise BAC test results. Both breathalysers utilise an electrochemical fuel cell sensor for the most accurate readings. The Xtend fuel cell sensor (Grade 10) of the S80 Pro Gen2 is the highest sensor of BACtrack with police-grade accuracy. It is specifically engineered to meet the testing requirements of hospitals, clinics, law enforcement, and workplaces. Moreover, using a fuel cell breathalysers have the following advantages over semiconductor breathalysers:
- Sensitivity – Fuel cell sensors are sensitive to ethyl alcohol and do not react to other substances. Thus, it is less likely to produce false positives, including the tests of people with diabetes or a low-calorie diet.
- Detection range – The fuel cell breathalysers can trace alcohol concentrations without losing accuracy. The S80 Pro Gen2 can determine the exact BAC level from 0.00-0.400% BAC. The Alcolimit Defender can trace up to 0.500% BAC.
- Display – The breathalysers display the BAC up to three decimal places for more precise results.
The AlcoLimit Defender Features
The Alcolimit Defender is a lightweight yet sturdy breathalyser that uses fuel cell sensor technology to give a high-quality reading. It has Australian Standards AS3547 certification, passing the specific conditions in terms of performance, accuracy, and calibration requirements expected in a breathalyser. Additionally, the Alcolimit Defender has the following features:
- Flow Control technology – The device checks the flow rate of the breath to ensure that the sensor receives an adequate air sample before giving measuring the alcohol content.
- Intelli-sensor recognition technology – Checks the sensor’s condition in every use. It analyses the stability and the level of alcohol residue that may have built up over time. Likewise, it will indicate if the breathalyser needs recalibration.
- Test counter – Records the number of tests performed with a recalibration reminder at 500 uses.
BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 vs Alcolimit Defender: Uses
The BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 and Alcolimit Defender breathalysers are efficient devices for determining the BAC level. However, the BACtrack has several features that make breath testing more convenient. The Alcolimit Defender has a warm-up time of 30 seconds before using the device. Meanwhile, the S80 Pro Gen2 has only 10 to 15 seconds of warm-up time. The shorter warm-up time enables you to facilitate an alcohol breath test faster. Additionally, the Alcolimit Defender has a response time of ten seconds and the S80 Pro Gen2 with three seconds. This function is ideal in professional environments requiring fast turnaround or back-to-back testing.
Many people use the Alcolimit Defender for personal use, especially checking the BAC level before driving. For example, drivers with a learner’s permit or probationary license have an alcohol limit of zero BAC. It means that you must not have any alcohol concentration while driving. A fuel cell breathalyser can give accurate readings from low to high BAC ranges. Therefore, the fuel cell sensors can pick up alcohol content in a minimum amount. Moreover, the general alcohol limit for most people is 0.05% BAC. Therefore, it is essential to consume alcohol moderately from going over the legal limit and avoid legal penalties. On the other hand, the S80 Pro Gen2 is more suitable for workplace use due to its reliability. However, the BACtrack S80 Pro is an excellent personal breathalyser with police-grade accuracy.
The Performance of the BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2
Breathalysers Australia offers the BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 as a top-range breathalyser for workplace use. Like the Alcolimit Defender, the S80 Pro Gen2 also has AS3547 certification, FDA approval and DOT compliance. Moreover, the combined advanced features of the S80 Pro Gen2 make it the most cost-efficient professional breathalyser. Furthermore, it provides the following functions:
- Optimal Breath Capture – The BACtrack breathalysers consist of a miniature internal breath pump to catch the precise breath sample and keep out ambient air and external pollutants.
- One-touch Operation – You may facilitate a breath test by pressing the power button. A countdown time will immediately start to warm up the sensors and prepare you to blow.
- Continuous Temperature Check – Ensures that the breath sample is consistent for enhanced accuracy.
- Audible Alarm – The breathalyser is set to the Australian driving limit of 0.05% BAC. You may also set the unit to alert you to different limits.
- Adjustable Settings – You may change the settings of the S80 Pro Gen 2, including the blow time, blow strength, and units of measure. For example, the longer blow time or stronger strength improves the precision.
- Error Indicator – The S80 Pro Gen2 alerts if the blow is not adequate to take a reading. Likewise, it will also display an error message if the air temperature is outside the defined range.
More workplaces use professional breathalysers like the BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 or the Alcolimit Defender to manage safety risks. Therefore, the device’s precision, reliability, and durability are crucial factors securing the workplace from alcohol-related harm. Likewise, you should consider the breathalyser’s features in choosing the right device. For example, getting an FDA-approved alcohol tester ensures that you receive high-quality performance than non-standard ones. A reliable device like BACtrack helps improve workplace safety, deter alcohol use, and reduce accidents. Similarly, stricter road regulations aim to reduce road crashes or collisions due to impaired driving. Therefore, individuals also use personal devices to ensure safety and avoid drink driving charges. Breathalysers Australia offers a comprehensive line of alcohol testers for personal or workplace uses.