Conducting a drug and alcohol abuse screening test on employees can sometimes be intimidating and viewed as invasive, but it can also be an essential part of the workplace safety policy. After any volume of testing instances, employees who undergo random testing for drugs and alcohol have significantly lower accident rates. Furthermore, it would be best if you kept in mind that drug and alcohol screening does not have to be about employee punishment; it should be about:
- Correcting risky behaviours
- Improving staff health and safety
- Increasing employee productivity
- Boosting staff morale
- Reducing workplace incidents
Workplace Drug and Alcohol Abuse Screening Tests
Alcohol abuse screening test: The use of a breathalyser for conducting alcohol tests in the workplace are highly effective and efficient. The breathalyser works by analysing the provided breath sample through sensors to determine that person’s BAC level. BACtrack professional breathalyser units use advanced fuel cell sensor technology to deliver highly accurate and highly reliable alcohol breath testing results. Moreover, fuel cell sensors are the same technology that law enforcement officers use with their breathalyser units. Some industries have a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol consumption in the workplace. Being intoxicated is prohibited, especially if the job involves heavy machinery and potentially dangerous equipment. Being impaired at work can also lead to decreased productivity, issues with behaviour, and relationships with coworkers may be affected. Therefore, high standard testing equipment is essential for workplace drug and alcohol testing.
Some businesses conduct random drug and alcohol abuse screening test to determine their employee’s health status. Moreover , the random testing in workplaces can lower accident rates and encourage healthy practices. Breathalysers Australia provides genuine BACtrack breathalysers for personal or workplace testing. The BACtrack Professional models are reliable for workplace testing. Notably, the BACtrack S80 Pro Gen2 and BACtrack Mobile Gen2 are excellent workplace breath testing devices, delivering highly accurate BAC test results even after several tests. Furthermore, the Mobile Gen2 is the perfect unit for remote alcohol testing. Additionally, a personal breathalyser on hand like BACtrack devices can also help you monitor your alcohol consumption and help keep you and your loved ones safe.
Alcohol Abuse Screening Test: BACtrack Mobile Breathalysers
The innovative BACtrack Mobile Gen2 Smartphone breathalyser combines a smartphone application and a fuel cell device to wirelessly bring Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) test results to your device. The BACtrack Mobile quickly and easily estimates your BAC level, and lets you track test results over time with ZeroLine® technology. You can estimate when your BAC level returns to 0.00%. Furthermore, you can also have access to call rideshare services directly from the BACtrack app if you have had too much to drink. BACtrack Mobile Smartphone breathalyser features Bluetooth connectivity. This connectivity allows for innovative tracking, personalisation and Apple Health integration tools that are perfect for both personal and workplace use. Without a doubt, BACtrack breathalysers can be highly effective alcohol abuse screening test devices.
When should you drug test?
- Pre-employment testing – Prior to getting a job offer, a company may require drug screening
- Blanket Testing – Testing all employees in a single instance
- Random Testing – Selecting random employees to be tested at an unannounced time
- Post-incident Testing – Testing employees that have been in an accident or potential accident
- ‘For cause’ Testing – Requested when the supervisor has justified and reasonable grounds for testing an employee.
- Self-Testing – To ensure that employees are working safely, you can provide them with testing equipment like the BACtrack breathalyser for workplace alcohol testing.
- Return to Work – This test is done if an employee who tested positive previously must test negative before going back to work.
Kinds of Drug Tests
- ORAL FLUID – Oral fluid testing or Mouthswab tests can detect prohibited substances for hours after consumption. If the on-site result is positive, a qualified laboratory will collect and test a different sample.
- URINE – Urinalysis can have detectable levels of drugs for weeks after consumption. The sample is collected after the bathroom is checked to eliminate the possibility of tampering while respecting the individual’s privacy. And if the on-site result is positive, the sample must be sent to the laboratory for further testing.
What is substance abuse?
The consumption of alcohol at dangerous levels and drug use can damage people, loved ones and communities. You must get support if you or someone you know needs help managing substance abuse. People use substances for various reasons. The misuse of alcohol and drugs may lead to addictions. The use of drugs and consumption of alcohol may be relaxing or euphoric in the short term; however, there are severe long-term repercussions. Drug and alcohol abuse screening tests are essential to reduce hiring people who have problems with substance abuse. Some drugs are highly addictive, so you will need to take more of the drug to get the same effects. You might get cravings and sudden urges to take the drugs and will likely have withdrawal symptoms when you are not using them.
Withdrawal is the body’s change when you stop using drugs or consuming alcohol. These changes may include:
- Sudden mood changes
- Aches and pains
- Urges and cravings
The withdrawal experience may differ for people depending on the individual, type of drugs consumed and how long it was being used. You must be aware that suddenly ending the use of drugs and alcohol consumption can be dangerous and will likely cause harm. You should consult your doctor or medical professional about drug and alcohol service options after your alcohol abuse screening test.
Alcohol Abuse Screening Test: Signs of Abuse
Conducting a drug and alcohol screening test: Testing takes out the risks of misusing alcohol and drugs that may lead to accidental overdose or even death. Individuals under the influence of alcohol or drugs have impaired judgement and may act recklessly and endanger others around them. Below are some common signs of substance abuse and reasons why drug and alcohol abuse screening test is important:
- Difficulty in meeting responsibilities
- Avoiding activities or pulling out from activities that provided contentment, like their loved ones and socialising.
- Having more dangerous behaviours like hazardous levels of alcohol consumption.
- Behaviour changes like stealing or being violent.
- Conflict with family and loved ones.
- Having signs of depression and anxiety.
- Having a hard time reducing or stopping the use of drugs and or alcohol consumption.