Alcohol intoxication has no place on the road or at the workplace. The harmful use of alcohol has many negative impacts on health, safety, relationships, and the community. In particular, prolonged use causes adverse health diseases in the long term and safety issues in the short term. In addition, high Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) levels can severely impair our perception and motor functions like vision, hearing, reaction time, and coordination. That is why many companies implement an alcohol program to minimise the harmful effects of alcohol in the workplace. For example, safety-critical industries nowadays would use a wall mounted breathalyzer to check an employees’ BAC before letting them enter the premises.
Wall Mounted Breathalyzers in the Workplace
A breathalyzer is a breath testing device that can estimate a person’s BAC or intoxication level. Police officers use a handheld breathalyzer in roadside inspections to monitor drink driving. Likewise, many individuals use a portable breathalyzer to help moderate their alcohol intake. A personal breathalyzer like the BACtrack efficiently checks the BAC, so you will not exceed the legal alcohol limit. In Australia, the legal limit is 0.05% BAC. Therefore, if you drive with a BAC of 0.05% or higher, you will face criminal charges and penalties. Moreover, workplaces could also use a wall mounted breathalyzer to maintain a safe and alcohol-free environment.
A wall mounted breathalyzer is a BAC monitoring tool that can check on employees who might be working intoxicated. It is not uncommon to hear about alcohol-related incidents in the workplace. Alcohol use and accidents can cost companies millions of dollars every year. In addition, it can also lead to high absenteeism, turnover, and low productivity. Fortunately, alcohol-related incidents are preventable through a workplace breathalyzer. For instance, occupations involving operating heavy equipment rely on regular alcohol screening to ensure safety. Before employees can enter the premises, they must perform a breath test to be clear. Therefore, a wall mounted breathalyzer is suitable for points-of-entry in many companies, especially in high-risk industries. Mining, construction, transportation, and production facilities can drastically benefit from regular alcohol workplace screenings.
Features of a Wall Mounted Breathalyzer
A standard breathalyzer is a handheld device comprising sensors to estimate the alcohol level. They are portable and can fit easily in pockets or purses. On the other hand, a wall mounted breathalyzer is larger and installed in common areas for public use. Therefore, they are ideal for heavy applications or repeat testing. In addition, a wall-mounted breathalyzer has the following advanced features:
- Heavy-duty sensors – Replaceable platinum fuel cell sensor providing the highest precision in the alcohol breath test. The breathalyzers conform to the Australian Standards (AS3547) to ensure accuracy and reliability.
- Coin or push-button operation – Workplaces has a push-button function, while coin operation is for venues like restaurants or bars.
- Camera Option – Some devices have a camera option to ensure that the right person is performing the test.
- Configurable Settings – The breathalyzer can be configured according to the workplace’s specific alcohol program. You can set the limit for alcohol and display the results as PASS, CAUTION, or FAIL.
- Connectivity – A breathalyzer can have wireless connectivity or download via USB to extract BAC data to a PC.
- Large LCD screen – The screen displays the BAC results up to 3 decimal places and easy-to-follow instructions.
- Straw holder – The straw allows the person to give a secured breath sample to the device.
- Low maintenance cost – there are no expensive monthly service fees or contracts. Replacing the sensor modules is like getting a new machine.
- Stability – Ideal for all kinds of weather conditions without affecting the sensors’ performance.
Wall Mounted Breathalyzer: Advantages
A wall mounted breathalyzer helps keep the workplace secure. By checking the BAC before entering, you will know if the person is intoxicated or not. If alcohol is detected, the person is not allowed to work. The outcome of a positive test depends on the workplace policy. Additionally, constant tests can helps deter alcohol use or moderate consumption. It also promotes healthy and safer practices both in and outside of work. A wall-mounted breathalyzer has the following advantages:
- Robust alcohol monitoring system – Provides real-time update and checking of BAC level so you can keep intoxicated employees out of the worksite. It also comes with the name, date, time, and location stamps.
- Sensor accuracy – The breathalyzer uses fuel cell sensors, the gold standard in alcohol detection. In addition, it can trace alcohol concentration from 0.00-0.400% BAC ranges.
- Reduce workplace accidents – Consistent workplace testing can significantly lessen casualties or injuries.
- Easy to Use – Wall mounted breathalyzers are installed in the most accessible areas without obstruction. Additionally, operating the device is easy. You can perform a breath test in a few simple steps.
- Downloadable data – The authorised personnel can extract the BAC test results into an MS Excel file to a PC for recording purposes.
A breathalyzer is a valuable tool to check the alcohol level and prevent unfortunate incidents. A wall mounted breathalyzer is common in workplaces in a safety-sensitive environment. Bars, clubs, and restaurants also offer breath testing through coin-operated breathalyzers. They are ideal for patrons to check their BAC level to ensure safe driving. However, a wall breathalyzer has the following disadvantages:
- Improper use – Not following the guidelines of breath test can result in imprecise results. For example, you should wait at least 20 minutes after eating or drinking before conducting a BAC test.
- Availability – Not all establishments have a wall mounted breathalyzer. A portable breathalyzer like BACtrack is more convenient for personal safety wherever you go.
- Cost – A wall mount breathalyzer is suitable for industrial use. However, it is more expensive than a standard handheld breathalyzer.
BACtrack: Safety through a Personal Breathalyzer
There is no doubt that a breathalyzer helps minimise hazards associated with excessive alcohol consumption. A wall mounted breathalyzer in workplaces or bars allow people to check their BAC level before driving or working. It promotes responsible consumption and aid in making informed decisions. Furthermore, consistent monitoring of workplace sobriety improves productivity and boost employee morale. In particular, employees perform better when they know their safety is a top priority.
You may also avail of the BACtrack alcohol testers from Breathalysers Australia for personal or professional use. The BACtrack workplace breathalyzers feature enlarged platinum fuel cell sensors for the high accuracy. You can get the same precision level and functionalities from a wall mounted breathalyzer in a small device. In particular, the BACtrack Mobile Gen2, S80 Pro Gen2, and Alcovisor Mercury comply with the AS3547 standards. It also has FDA approval and meets all federal requirements for a breath screening device. Therefore, they are ideal for medium to high-level applications. Moreover, you may also choose from a wide range of BACtrack breathalyzers for your personal needs. Breathalysers Australia offers innovative devices that suit most breath testing needs and budgets.