Alcohol breath testing has been one of the most reliable and cost-effective forms of alcohol testing done to check for a person’s Blood Alcohol Content (BAC). The BAC level assesses the amount of alcohol present in an individual’s system. Thus, it can then help determine their mental and motor functional capacity. This method of testing for alcohol allows employers and law enforcers to single out those who may not drive or work safely. Moreover, a breath test is done more frequently than other tests. It is mainly due to how easy it is and quick to perform. This alcohol testing method is made possible with devices called a breath test kit, or more commonly, a breathalyser kit. This article will lay out how to use the highly effective BACtrack breathalysers available at Breathalysers Australia.
Traditional Breath Test Kits vs Breathalyser Kits
In the past, one of the most common forms of a breath test kit includes a balloon and a glass tube with yellow crystals. The individual would blow into the balloon, which then releases air into the tube. Then, the crystals would change colour from yellow to green depending on how high the alcohol content is in the system. Firstly, one green band means a BAC of under 0.05%. Secondly, two bands indicate a BAC between 0.05% and 0.10%. Lastly, three bands represent that the BAC is well over 0.10%.
However, nowadays, alcohol breath testing is now more convenient with the use of a breathalyser breath test kit. Instead of using disposable breath testing kits, breathalyser devices are reusable and reliable. Thus, it makes them more cost-effective in the long run. The individual needs only to blow into the sterilised mouthpiece for a breathalyser device to perform a breath test. Furthermore, anybody can perform an alcohol breath test almost anywhere and in nearly any setting with breathalysers. Breathalysers are ready for testing, whether on the go, out on the road, or in the workplace. Hence, it is one of the primary reasons law enforcers, workplace sample collectors, and even civilians prefer this form of testing.
In addition, Breathalysers Australia offers a variety of high-quality police-grade BACtrack breathalyser breath test kits available for both personal and workplace use.
More About Breathalyser Breath Test Kits
A breathalyser, also known as a breath test analyser, is the most effective device to help monitor the BAC level of an individual. Moreover, police officers use a breathalyser more often than a traditional breath test kit. It is because it can give the exact BAC level of a driver. Thus, a person who is Driving Under the Influence of alcohol (DUI) would have no excuse. Furthermore, some devices are more accurate than others. Law enforcement officers and medical professionals use devices with fuel cell technology in their official breathalysers.
Accordingly, Breathalysers Australia uses the same technology in their BACtrack breathalyser breath test kits. Thus, Breathalysers Australia makes it possible for professional and police-grade devices to be available for personal and workplace use. Therefore, the breathalysers from Breathalysers Australia can accurately measure the BAC levels in an individual’s system with added convenience and reliability.
The BACtrack Breathalysers Available at Breathalysers Australia
Personal Breathalyser Breath Test Kits:
- Keychain Breathalyser Series – BACtrack Go Keychain and BACtrack C6 Keychain
- Smartphone Breathalyser Series – BACtrack C6 Keychain, BACtrack C8 Smartphone and BACtrack Mobile Pro
- Pro-grade Series – BACtrack Scout, BACtrack Trace Pro, BACtrack Trace Pro Gen2, BACtrack Mobile Pro and BACtrack S80 pro
Workplace Breath Test Kits:
- BACtrack Mobile Pro Gen2
- BACtracke S80 Pro Gen2
- Alcovisor Mercury Touchscreen
How to Use the BACtrack Breathalyser Breath Test Kits
Generally, all BACtrack breathalyser breath test kits work in the same fundamental way. You may follow these steps as a guide:
- Attach the mouthpiece to the device (some breathalysers may come with an attached non-removable mouthpiece).
- Turn the breathalyser device on (usually with an “on” switch).
- Wait for the device to get ready for testing (usually around 5 to 10 seconds, depending on the unit).
- Blow into the mouthpiece until the device tells you to stop (with an audible beep). Caution: preemptively stopping may cause test results to be inaccurate.
- Wait for your breathalyser to calculate the BAC results for 10 seconds (shown on a screen of the device or your smartphone screen using a Bluetooth device).
- The breathalyser will usually shut down by itself after a couple of minutes if left unused.
- Your breathalyser unit will tell you if the test has failed. (usually caused by not blowing long or hard enough to attain a decent reading). Note: If this happens, try again after a few minutes.
- If results show definitive inaccurate readings, your unit may need recalibration (to be sent back to the manufacturer). Note: Breathalysers Australia offers scheduled recalibration for breathalysers bought from them.
How to Use the BACtrack Breathalyser App
For breath test kits in the BACtrack smartphone breathalyser series, you may follow these steps on how to use the BACtrack app:
Step 1: Pairing Your Device
- Download the free BACtrack app in the App Store or on Google Play.
- Ensure your smartphone device’s Bluetooth connection is turned on in the Settings.
- Turn on your BACtrack breathalyser by holding the power button until the light turns on.
- Open the BACtrack app.
- Register your email address to activate your warranty (if you have not already), and click Done.
Step 2: Taking a Reading
- Click the BACtrack image to begin your test. Note: it is essential to wait at least 15 minutes after eating, drinking or smoking before testing to ensure accurate BAC results.
Step 3: Guessing Your BAC Level
- While the BACtrack sensor warms up, you have the option to guess your BAC level. This feature aims to help you better understand how alcohol affects your body. Note: your guess will not affect your reading.
Step 4: Providing the Breath Sample
- When the screen reads “Blow Now”, take a deep breath and blow into your breathalyser unit continuously until the circle is completely illuminated. The estimated blowing time is about 5 seconds.
Step 5: Viewing Results
- Once your BACtrack breathalyser has analysed your breath sample, it will communicate the reading to your mobile device. Your estimated BAC will be displayed on the screen.
The need to have a breath test kit, specifically a BACtrack breathalyser, ready at all times could be an effective way to help people decide whether they should drive or take a taxi home. Moreover, it increases the safety of an individual and reduces the chances of them acquiring DUI charges and the severe punishments that come with it. Thus, highly accurate breath test kits have helped significantly reduce alcohol-induced road accidents. Furthermore, being able to test one’s BAC level at a push of a button with a breathalyser has increased the safety of those who occasionally like to go out and drink with their friends as well as prevent workplace accidents. In conclusion, individuals would feel safer investing in a BACtrack breathalyser at Breathalyser Australia. Whether for personal or workplace use, these devices are reliable and effective.