Nowadays, a breathalyser is an indispensable tool during alcohol consumption. It is a portable electronic device that estimates a person’s Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) or intoxication level. In addition, law enforcement uses a police breathalyser to apprehend drink drivers. It measures the exact BAC level to determine if a person is over the legal limit. Therefore, individuals ensure they have zero to minimum alcohol content to avoid drink driving charges. A breath check using a personal breathalyser lets you know how much alcohol is in your blood in seconds. Thus, devices like the BACtrack personal breathalysers are valuable in preventing various health and safety risks.
What is an Alcohol Breath Check?
Various methods can identify alcohol use, such as breath, urine, saliva, or blood tests. An alcohol breath check is a simple and non-invasive way to measure the alcohol level. A breathalyser device measures the amount of alcohol present from the exhaled breath. Additionally, breathalysers use sensor technology to analyse the breath sample. For example, the more you consume alcohol, the higher your BAC. Likewise, the higher your BAC, the more severe the impairment. The BACtrack devices from Breathalysers Australia use advanced sensor technology to give reliable BAC results. Moreover, understanding the alcohol breath test levels and their corresponding effects helps moderate consumption. As a general guide, the BAC ranges below have the following consequences:
- 0.010-0.039% – relaxation, slight euphoria, and lowered inhibitions
- 0.040-0.059% – minor impairment in judgment and memory; exaggerated behaviour begins to show; lowering of caution.
- 0.060-0.099% – slight impairment in vision, hearing, and balance; slower reaction time; reduced self-control and reasoning functions.
- 0.100-0.129% – significant impairment in motor coordination
- 0.130% and higher – beginning of dysphoria or feeling unwell; nausea, vomiting, or loss of consciousness.
Intoxication starts with the first sip. Generally, it is inadvisable to combine drinking with driving. Any alcohol amount in the system increases the safety risks significantly. Therefore, a breath check using a breathalyser can help avoid excessive consumption. Moreover, being aware of how alcohol affects your body can help you control your intake.
BACtrack Breathalysers: Conducting a Quick Breath Check
BACtrack is a leading specialist in breathalyser technology, providing fast and accurate results. The BACtrack breathalysers ensure efficiency with each breath check using advanced sensors and user-friendly features. Therefore, individuals can administer BAC testing without the need for medical professionals or laboratory analysis. You may perform a quick breath check with BACtrack through a single-button operation. The following steps below guide in the correct use of a breathalyser:
- Wait fifteen minutes after eating, smoking, or drinking before using the BACtrack breathalyser.
- Avoid testing in alcohol or smoke-filled room.
- Mouthpieces are optional but using a fresh mouthpiece is highly recommended.
- Press the Power button. The device immediately starts a countdown timer as the sensors warm up.
- Take a deep breath as the timer approaches zero.
- Blow continuously for five seconds or until you hear the end of the beeping sound.
- The device processes the breath sample and displays the BAC results on the LED screen within 15 seconds.
- The BACtrack units automatically power down after ten seconds.
- Store the breathalyser with the carry case that comes with it to prevent damage.
Ensuring Accurate BAC Tests
When looking at breathalyser options, you may encounter the types of sensors used. Personal breathalysers use two kinds: semiconductor and fuel cell sensors. Mainly, their difference lies in the costs and performance. A semiconductor breathalyser electronically processes alcohol using a tin-oxide substance. It measures the reaction change in the electrical resistance of the sensor and alcohol. Then, the device measures the difference and calculates it into BAC. Semiconductor breathalysers are fitting if you need a quick breath check or as an alcohol screening device. Meanwhile, breathalysers with fuel cell sensors undergo an electrochemical process to oxidise alcohol. The oxidisation generates small electrical currents based on the amount of alcohol in the breath sample. As a result, the greater the currents, the higher the BAC level.
Law enforcement, hospitals, and workplaces use fuel cell sensor technology to measure the BAC accurately. Fuel cell sensors are specific to ethyl alcohol and do not react to other substances. Thus, it will not affect the results of people with diabetes or on a low-calorie diet who have high acetone. They also remain consistent longer after numerous tests. As a result, they give dependable BAC readings and are less likely to produce false positives. Fortunately, Breathalysers Australia offers fuel cell breathalysers suitable for personal use. Therefore, you can facilitate an accurate breath check with the BACtrack pro-grade devices.
Features of the BACtrack Breathalysers at Breathalysers Australia
Aside from the one-button operation, the BACtrack breathalysers host many innovative features to make each breath check efficient. The BACtrack devices also include the following helpful features:
- Internal breath pump – when getting a breath alcohol reading, it is important to provide a sample from the deep lung air. The mini air pump activates at the end of each breath test to capture the deep lung air and get the most accurate estimate of the BAC.
- Linear response – the Xtend fuel cell sensors have linear response providing precise results over the complete range of alcohol concentrations in the breath. The BACtrack breathalysers fuel cell breathalysers can measure trace concentrations of alcohol from 0.00 to 0.400%.
- Temperature checking – the BACtrack Pro devices include continuous temperature checking to ensure breath sample consistency.
- Bluetooth connectivity – the smartphone breathalysers (BACtrack Mobile Pro, C6, and C8) have Bluetooth capability to connect to a mobile phone. The breathalysers process the breath sample and deliver the BAC results directly on the phone’s screen through an app.
- The BACtrack companion app – the free smartphone app is compatible with iOS and Android devices. It can store the previous test results, track them in a graph, and estimate sobriety through the ZeroLine technology.
The Importance of Self-Breath Checking
Many people consume alcohol to make them feel relaxed. Some enjoy drinking with a group, while others may drink alone. Nevertheless, it is essential to conduct a quick breath check to see the increase in your alcohol level. The BACtrack personal breathalysers are cost-efficient devices for BAC monitoring. For example, you may check your BAC every hour to help you keep within the legal driving limits. Many people find a personal breathalyser helpful in moderating consumption. Self-testing with a breathalyser improves personal safety, whether driving or working. Moreover, it helps you become more aware of how alcohol affects your body to help you make better safety decisions. Breathalysers Australia offers alcohol testers to suit different styles or needs. The pro-grade accuracy of the BACtrack fuel cell sensors ensures that you get the highest precision for a personal device. Regardless of what you choose, a personal breathalyser is a must-have.