High alcohol consumption has profound effects on health and safety. Excessive intake causes severe impairments, especially in sensory and motor functions. These impairments negatively affect the ability to drive safely. Thus, it results in road accidents or serious injuries. To help reduce impaired driving and road hazards, law enforcers conduct frequent roadside alcohol screening. You may face legal charges when you drive with a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.05% or more. Therefore, people use an alcohol test kit to check their BAC before driving. Breathalysers Australia offers effective alcohol test kits to determine the intoxication level. Using a personal device can significantly secure safety on the road.
An alcohol test kit or a breathalyser is an effective tool to assess the degree of impairment. It is a portable device that can measure how much alcohol is in the blood through the breath. Additionally, a quick breath check enables you to know if you are over the alcohol limit or not. Many people use a breathalyser to track their consumption. If their BAC increases rapidly, they may choose to slow down. However, selecting the right device can be challenging with the various testing kits available in the market. Therefore, Breathalysers Australia presents a comprehensive selection to make choosing a breathalyser easier.
Kinds of Alcohol Test Kits at Breathalysers Australia
Breathalysers take many forms. You may choose an alcohol test kit based on functions, purpose, accuracy level, or costs. Knowing the different features and types helps select a device more convenient. Breathalysers vary according to the following:
- Sensor type – Breathalysers use semiconductors or fuel cell sensors. Semiconductors are more affordable and ideal for personal uses. Meanwhile, fuel cell sensors are more expensive but have higher accuracy rates.
- Purpose – Breathalysers serve many uses. It is beneficial for personal intent or commercial applications. For example, you may use a breathalyser to check your BAC level. Additionally, law enforcement, laboratories, and workplaces use a professional device to get a precise BAC estimation. The workplace devices such as the BACtrack S80 and Mobile Gen2 series, and the Alcovisor Mercury have the largest fuel cell sensors suitable for high-volume use. Likewise, the BACtrack Pro series, like the S80, Trace Pro, Scout, and Mobile Pro, use the Xtend fuel cell sensor technology for reliable BAC tests for personal use.
- Extra features – Some alcohol test kits have added functionalities like wireless technology. The smartphone breathalysers deliver the BAC results directly to a mobile phone via a Bluetooth connection. The BACtrack C6 and C8 breathalysers have optional Bluetooth capability. With the dual-mode operation, you may use the device as a standalone unit or through the BACtrack smartphone app. Moreover, innovative devices like the BACtrack Skyn can monitor the alcohol level through sweat. The Skyn can also send the BAC data to an Apple Watch.
Alcohol Test Kits: How to Measure the BAC
Alcohol test kits can detect and measure alcohol content through the breath, urine, saliva, and blood. However, a breathalyser is the most cost-efficient and non-invasive method to estimate the BAC. Firstly, a breathalyser has a mouthpiece to collect the breath sample and sensors to analyse the alcohol amount. Alcohol testers at Breathalysers Australia utilise fuel cell sensors for the most accurate and reliable BAC readings. The sensors undergo a chemical reaction process as they come in contact with alcohol and produce small electrical charges. Then, the device converts the number of currents into a BAC amount. For example, the more alcohol you consume, the higher the BAC. Moreover, the higher the BAC level, the more severe the impairment.
The Advantages of Fuel Cell Breathalysers
The performance of an alcohol test kit depends on the stability of the sensors. The fuel cell breathalysers provide more precision, consistency, and reliability. Additionally, fuel cell breathalysers offer the following advantages:
- Ethanol-specific: Fuel cell sensors are sensitive to ethanol and do not react with other substances in the breath. Therefore, there is less likely to produce false positives. In contrast, semiconductor breathalysers interact with alcohol types and other contaminants, including acetone, breath sprays, cigarette smoke, or mouthwash.
- Accuracy level: The fuel cell testers at Breathalysers Australia can accurately trace complete alcohol concentrations expected in the breath from 0.00-0.400% BAC ranges. Likewise, the BACtrack breathalysers have a BAC reading of up to three decimal places for the most precise results.
- Stability: The sensors may drift over time as the alcohol residue builds up. In this case, a recalibration is necessary to maintain the device’s optimal performance. Fuel cell sensors keep consistent readings up to 1,000 tests before recalibration.
- Long life cycle: Fuel cell breathalysers have a longer working life of 3-5 years than semiconductor devices.
How to Use an Alcohol Test Kit
A breathalyser is a portable alcohol test kit convenient for determining the alcohol level. Roadside screening and workplaces use a professional breathalyser because it is the most cost-efficient. Likewise, you can easily perform a breath test, unlike a urine or blood sampling. To use a breathalyser, simply power on the device and wait for the sensors to warm up. Next, prepare to take a deep breath and blow to the mouthpiece at the signal. Give a continuous blow for five seconds or until you hear the end of the beeping sound. The BACtrack breathalysers process the sample and display the BAC results in 10 to 15 seconds.
Ensure that you follow the correct guidelines for using an alcohol test kit to get accurate results. The most important rule in breath tests is to wait for 15 to 20 minutes after eating, drinking, or smoking. The waiting period allows alcohol to reach the lungs. It also minimises residual mouth alcohol to dissipate and avoid inaccurate readings. Furthermore, avoid spitting saliva to prevent damage to the sensors. A personal breathalyser efficiently helps determine the alcohol level. It is useful to moderate the intake and keep from exceeding the legal limit. Additionally, breathalysers are a useful deterrent against alcohol misuse or impaired driving.
The Convenience of Getting a Device at Breathalysers Australia
Alcohol test kits are readily available in pharmacies or retail stores nationwide. However, getting an accurate and reliable device is vital in securing personal safety. Breathalysers Australia presents pro-grade devices suitable for personal use. Moreover, the BACtrack breathalysers have a one-touch operation for quick and easy use. The BACtrack Xtend fuel cell breathalysers have FDA approval and DOT compliance, meeting the requirements for a breath screening device. Furthermore, Breathalysers Australia provides a full recalibration service for all units purchased. You may also reach the customer support team via email for any inquiries about your device. Lastly, getting a reliable breathalyser is a worthy investment for your safety or others. Breathalysers help in making informed health and safety decisions.